The TECRO/Science & Technology Division is an extension of Taiwan's Ministry of Science and Technology. The Science Division is based in Washington, DC and acts on behalf of Taiwan's Ministry of Science and Technology under the supervision of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States (TECRO). Ms. Shirley H. Yang is the current director.
The main mission of the Science Division is to promote scientific and technological cooperation between the Republic of China on Taiwan and the United States.
After the United States severed diplomatic relationship with the Republic of China in 1979, the U.S. Congress passed the Taiwan Relation Act to maintain commercial, cultural and other relations with the people of Taiwan. During the past years, through TECRO and AIT (American Institute in Taiwan), each representing its interests in US and in Taiwan respectively, the two countries have signed 248 science and technology agreements/implementing arrangements/amendments. These agreements cover a wide range of areas, including science and scholarly cooperation, nuclear energy, physical sciences, atmospheric research and seismology, environmental protection, biomedical sciences, water and soil conservation, highway construction and water resource technology, and scientific and engineering information, etc.
Among the functions of the Science Division, the priorities are:
● To promote signing of bilateral science and technology agreements with the U.S. and to assist the implementation of the agreements.
● To assist in arranging the exchange of visiting scientists from both sides to lecture, consult, or as guest researchers
● To assist the visiting Ministry of Science and Technology fellowship grantees who is studying in the U.S
● To help recruit overseas Taiwanese scientists and scholars to work in Taiwan
● To promote the Science-based Industrial Parks in Hsinchu, Central Taiwan and Tainan and attract high-tech investments to the parks
● To give necessary assistance to overseas Taiwanese science and technology professional associations