Main Objectives of the Science Division
STD/France's main activities can be divided into four categories:
1. To build and to manage scientific cooperative relationships between Taiwan and France.
(1) STD/France is responsible for the promotion of existing agreements such as Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) signed between NSC and French research institutes for instance with CNRS, INRIA, INRA, CIRAD, IHES, INSERM and the Académie des Sciences de l’Institut de France. It facilitates exchange visits, initiates collaborations, and follows up on continuing research projects.
(2) STD/France seeks to establish new collaborative relationships with other leading French research institutes, such as IFREMER, CNES, Institut Pasteur and CEA, as their aims and policies are very close to those of the NSC. Cooperation between such institutions could only be mutually beneficial. STD/France will work with these institutes in promoting bilateral research visits and funding joint seminars. These efforts may lead in the near future to the signature of scientific bilateral cooperation agreements between NSC and main French scientific institutes.
(3) Among the topics designated by NSC as National Science and Technology priority programs, STD/France chose to develop cooperation between France and Taiwan in the following areas:
- Hazards mitigation
- Agricultural biotechnology
- Pharmaceutical and biotechnology
- Genomic medicine
- Digital archiving
- Systems on a chip
To reach this goal, STD/France will pursue actions such as:
- Collect information on current policies concerning the development of science & technology in France, Italy, and Spain, as well as establish contact lists with research teams either in national institutes or centers of excellence in universities.
- Provide information to members of institutes or teams mentioned above who might be interested in research visits to Taiwan and organize these research visits for them.
- Advice can also be given to Taiwanese scientists wishing to undertake research visits in France. These visits will contribute to establishing scientists exchange programs or joint research projects.
- Encourage establishment of long-term cooperative relationships between labs in order to pursuit joint research projects.
(4) Collect and assess scientific information
- Monitor French, Italy and Spanish government’s science and technology development policies, as well as collect relevant scientific publications for Taiwanese researchers.
- Search for potential cooperative partners
(5) Organization of research visits
- For Taiwanese scientists who wish to visit France: STD/France provides itinerary planning services that focus on specific research interest of the scientists and offers transportation assistance.
- For French scientists wishing to visit Taiwan:
a. STD/France provides information on science and technology development in Taiwan.
b. STD/France guides visiting scientists to appropriate persons and institutions according to their research interest.
c. STD/France gathers feedback from researchers who have visited Taiwan, so that improvements can be made in the future if necessary.
2. Strengthen relationships with southern European countries
(1) Following the letter of intent between the NSC and the National Research Council of Italy, STD/France aims at establishing further agreements of cooperation between the two parties.
(2) Following Chairman Wei's visit to Spain in July of 2003, STD/France continues to develop cooperation with the Ministry of Science and Technology, Spanish Research Council (CSIC), and the Technical University of Valencia.
(3) Visits will also be made to leading scientific institutions and research teams of both countries.
3. Promote Taiwan’s participation in international organizations
As Taiwan’s participation in international organizations is one of our government’s major interests, STD/France maintains close relationship with general secretaries of international scientific organizations based in France i.e. OECD, ICSU and ESA in order to acquaint itself with these organizations’ activities and projects.
4. Other activities
(1) Gather information on important scientific events which are held in France
(2) Work with the Taipei Representative Office in France to improve Taiwan’s foreign relations with France.
(3) Reach out to scientists of Taiwanese origin who have settled in France, as well as keep active contacts with local scientific associations
(4) Provide assistance to visiting scholars and scientists who are doing research in France with financial supports from NSC.